The Student News Site of The Seven Hills School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Dear Fiona

Dear Fiona

Hi. I’m Fiona! I’m a junior, and I love giving people advice! This is a new column that I will be writing in The Hive where anyone can anonymously ask me questions about ANYTHING using the link below, and every issue I will come out with responses! 

https://forms.gle/oF4cuiBAvRsTXND28

Here are the questions that you sent in!

I’m failing Spanish; I need help.

Spanish was such a hard class for me. I totally understand! In order to raise my grade, I focused on getting 100% on assignments that were more simple, such as homework or vocabulary quizzes. Look at the breakdown of the gradebook in schoology and see what counts for the highest percentage and work on studying the most for those sections. When taking notes in class, write down everything the teacher writes on the board, not just the basic information, so you can have some more background when you are studying later on. And when you are studying, think of helpful acronyms to help you remember things. And finally, go to extra help! I used to never go to extra help because I did not think it would do anything, but my grades and relationships with my teachers have improved so much since I started going. 

How do I become friends with older people?

When I was a freshman, I was so scared to talk to older people! But when I was a freshman, I became good friends with a junior, and I am still friends with her even though she has graduated. My biggest piece of advice is to not separate yourself from older people just because you’re nervous or they’re older. I think the easiest way to meet older people, and the way I met most of my older friends, is sports. For example, if you’re playing lacrosse and the coach asks you to get into a group of four, don’t just get into a group of four freshmen; try to find some juniors or older people to be in your group. The biggest thing is being open and confident, which is hard, but coming from a junior I have never judged someone off of their grade and honestly will be friends with anyone! 

What is health class like?

Health class is a semester-long class split into two quarters. One of the quarters is with Mr. Francis, learning about physical health, focusing on things like exercise and healthy eating. While the other quarter with Mrs. Hausberger, focuses on mental health teaching about things like meditation. I enjoyed Mrs. Haunerger’s quarter, but I was not particularly interested in Mr. Francis’ section as it was mostly lectures. There used to be an option to take health online over the summer, but it isn’t available anymore unfortunately. I honestly think they should bring this option back because students are constantly stressed, and it would be more beneficial to their health if they could spend the time working on homework at school. Overall it wasn’t that interesting to me, but it is one of those things that everyone just has to do. 

What should I do if I like someone, but I’m not sure they like me?

Honestly, all you can do in this situation is put yourself out there and see how it goes. While it is cheesy, the most important thing is being yourself because when you are confident and happy, people are really attracted to that energy. Definitely don’t go all in really quickly and text them all the time or follow them around. Try to be chill and incorporate yourself into their friend group or text them about something you have in common like a class. If it seems like they’re reciprocating that energy, then slowly start talking more, but once someone shows they’re not interested, it’s in your best interest to stop talking to them, even if you’re hurt. You don’t want there to be any awkward vibes, and you want them to think highly of you so if the chance to pursue them again does appear, maybe it will go better next time!