The Student News Site of The Seven Hills School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Should Seven Hills Sports be Cut or No-Cut?

JV Gold Players Supporting their Team on the Bench

Seven Hills has had some conflict about whether sports should be cut or no cut in recent years, more specifically in the high school. I think that in the Seven Hills High School sports should be cut and that it benefits the program and the players who get cut and the players who they choose to keep. This is because the players who stay will make our program better and will help us win while the players who get cut can work on their skills on another team without interfering with the competitiveness of the better players who want to win. If we do no-cut, then the players on the bench are not really getting any playing time and can’t really work on their skills. If they don’t care about their skills or getting better, then they should not even be on a team at Seven Hills and should be playing rec sports. 

Even though Seven Hills is a small school, it doesn’t mean that sports are not serious. We have had several players go onto to play college sports at Division 1 schools in many sports. We have also seen success in winning and shown that we can compete as a Division 3 school with our tennis team winning a state championship this past May. “We can be serious as it presents an opportunity as we had three future college tennis players on our team,” said sophomore tennis player Adi Nayak. This is still high school where  students have opportunities to win scholarships and showcase themselves as top talents and sometimes playing sports is the only way to do it. 

At The Seven Hills School, this is especially true because sports are more competitive in high school with the opportunity to win state titles and equal playing time is eliminated. “I think that sports should be cut. It would make sports way more competitive, and the people that are not as good can train to get better and it would make us win more,” sophomore Luke Samaha said. The argument for having sports cut at Seven Hills is that it will make us more competitive and mostly benefit the high level players while making the lower level players feel better. This would result in us winning more and having a chance at state titles this year.  “Sports would be more fun and it would be fun to see and watch our team win state titles year after year and make our program more competitive as our school,” said sophomore Tom Deblasio.

On the other hand, the Seven Hills cut policy would take Seven Hills sports too seriously, sophomore Griffin Osher said. Osher is also a member of the Varsity soccer team. He says that Seven Hills is a small Division 3 sports school and making it no cut would ruin the tradition at the school where sports are fun and inclusive for everyone to play. It has also made the sports team feel more inclusive and letting more people play makes it open for everyone and people can play casually. This makes sports and the sports community at Seven Hills feel open to everyone. 

In final, we should make sports cut because it will benefit the better players and help us win state titles while the bad players who got cut can work on their skills on another team. “We should be cut to make us more competitive because having bad players sit on the bench doesn’t help them develop as a player and doesn’t benefit the team either,” first year Gabe Herman said. Herman quit JV blue basketball this year.

What do you think: should sports at Seven Hills be cut or not cut?