The Student News Site of The Seven Hills School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Evolution of the Cheerleading Team

Mark Beyreis
The cheer team at the boys basketball game against Wyoming.

This 2023-2024 season marks a significant evolution for the Seven Hills cheerleading team. Led by  senior captains Natalia Butler, Lina Asfaw, Ariella Edlestein, and Aanvi Anand, the cheer team has undergone notable growth and development from when the cheer team first began. As they continue through the season, their leadership and dedication will continue to set a strong foundation for the team’s success and influence it for years to come. 

The Seven Hills cheerleading team first began in 1992 when student Mimi Barker, initially known for being a soccer player, proposed the idea of starting a cheer team with three of her friends. Given the absence of a football team and the novelty of cheerleading in the school environment, Barker’s idea was heavily doubted by many of her peers. However, against all odds, the cheer team began to gain traction as more students gravitated towards the school spirit the group carried with it. Because the school did not have a football team, the cheerleading team would go on to perform at boys basketball games and gain more recognition and popularity. Over the years, what began as a simple idea grew into a thriving and successful change in the school environment, with an increasing number of students joining the cheerleading team.

The Seven Hills cheerleading team enjoys a significant presence within the school community, serving as the core of school spirit and unity. Senior Lina Asfaw, who eagerly joined the team during her sophomore year, said, “It has positively impacted the team as upperclassmen are granted this opportunity to make connections with the underclassmen.” The cheer team’s enthusiastic spirit extends beyond the sidelines, spreading into the school community with a sense of excitement, and fostering a lively and dynamic school culture that leaves a lasting impression on all who are part of it. Sophomore Amara Duke de Lanerolle, who joined the cheerleading team this year, said, “When I joined the cheer team, I realized there were a lot of new people this year and that everyone was friendly.” The team’s commitment to inclusivity is noticeable, creating a welcoming environment for newcomers like Amara. As the team continues to grow and evolve, its impact on school spirit remains strong, creating a great source of unity among the students.

As the Seven Hills cheerleading team undergoes significant changes, various effects on the team dynamics have become apparent. Challenges such as conflicting prior commitments and fluctuations in confidence levels within the team have emerged alongside the increase of new students joining the team and the loss of old members. Middle School science teacher Jennifer Licata, the coach of the cheerleading team, said, “It can be challenging when practicing formations or learning new cheers if we are missing someone at practice, but most of the time, they use videos to learn what they missed.” The utilization of technology helps ensure the continuity of the team despite individual absences. Along with the prior commitments struggle, confidence levels within the team have also been a noticeable challenge. Asfaw said, “Now, as size has decreased and there are more new students joining cheer, I feel as if we are not as loud as we can be. And I think that has a lot to do with being new to a sport where you are not super confident in.” Despite challenges, the cheer team remains strong, demonstrating teamwork and determination.

As strong as the cheer team is today, members of the group voiced thoughts of improvement for the team. Sophomore Alisha Chaudhary said, “I would like to see more connection between the team and the student section. While it is a two-way street, I think the games would be so much more fun if the fan section and the cheerleaders shared the role of cheering on the team together.” Innovative ideas such as this can greatly improve the dynamics between the fan section as the cheer team and the ideas create a more welcoming atmosphere.

Led by dedicated captains and passionate members, the cheer team continues to embody the spirit of unity and school pride. As they navigate through each season, their unwavering commitment to excellence and teamwork serves as an inspiration to all. From its beginnings to its current evolution, the team has overcome challenges, embraced change, and left an indelible mark on the school’s culture. As the Seven Hills cheerleading team continues into the future, its legacy of growth and evolution will continue to shine, leaving an impact for generations to come.