The Student News Site of The Seven Hills School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

School’s Late Policy

Sophomore+Luke+Samaha+signing+in+after+being+late+due+to+train+
Sophomore Luke Samaha signing in after being late due to train

Have you ever been penalized for being in traffic? Ever been penalized for the snow that covers the ground? This is not fair as sometimes things happen that hinder your ability to make it to school on time. 

With this being said, I have two claims that may make the Tardy Policy more manageable. One: We should not be limited to four  free tardies and then everything after that is a detention. I believe that after four tardies, it should go in intervals of two to determine when the next detention is. Two: Why take the valuable five minutes from us from 8:10 to 8:15? I say that we eliminate the check-in with the advisor process and instead, get checked in with your first block teacher. I believe that with these improvements, we can continue to keep a disciplined community but add more leniency to things that might not be in your control. But that is my opinion. Let’s hear what other people have to say about the late policy.

“This late policy is too strict,” senior John Corbett said. “Even though I am rarely late, I know friends that have been screwed by this policy. I believe that the check-in with the advisor idea is there for no reason at all.” With this, we see how the advisor check-in process is completely unnecessary as not only I believe it, others do as well. To combat this I say that we just take out the check in with the advisors as it makes everyone unhappy. We don’t even use the five minutes anyways, so it is a waste of time. I think that we just check in with our first bell teacher at 8:15 as it still serves the same purpose with no negative repercussions.

“The four tardies and then everything after that is a detention is too strict. I instead think that the school just uses the same four tardy intervals,” senior John Corbett said. While I agree with Corbett that the policy is too strict, I think that the four tardy interval is too lenient; I think we should meet in the middle with 4 then 2,2,2. 

“The school’s policy makes students show discipline. They want to set us up for life, and in life we are not always given so much leniency. We should treat this like a job, and just wake up five minutes earlier if you don’t want to receive detention,” sophomore Faith McLennan said. While I agree with Faith’s take, I believe that we can find a way to meet in the middle and find common ground allowing for both a disciplined and happy morning for all. 

With this we can see the ideas about the late policy from not only me but many others. We see many similarities, but we also see some subtle differences that make everyone’s opinion distinct. But it’s up to us if we want to speak up and make a change on behalf of our whole school. So let me ask you: what do you think about the late policy? Do you believe that it is too strict or just right?