The Student News Site of The Seven Hills School

The Hive

The Hive

The Hive

Men’s Varsity Soccer 2023-24 Season Update

Mark Beyreis
The varsity soccer team.

The Stinger’s Men’s Varsity Soccer Team has been on a roll this 2023-2024 season with captains, Everett Rinaldi, Leo Weller, and Eli Cogan leading the way for the Stingers who finished with a 13-2 regular season record and are currently preparing for the postseason. The 13-2 record for the Stingers has been one the best records in recent memory and this team has “Something special and the talent and ability to win it all this year,” sophomore Miles Rizor said. 

The Varsity soccer team has taken on the role of a “football team” here at Seven Hills. Varsity soccer calls it “soccer supremacy” as they are the football of our high school. They have proven their title so far with them being ranked fifth in the state of Ohio for their division.

This year of soccer has had many hardships, injuries, and struggles and the team already started the season with big gaps to fill with ten key seniors graduating and leaving the team. While this may seem like a downside to many, Captain Everett Rinaldi said, “This is our year to win state. It’s time for us to step up to the plate and bring it home this year, but in order for that to happen everyone has to up their game from last year and fill those gaps we missed.” Captain Everett Rinaldi has been one of the most key players in their success this year for multiple reasons with the obvious being his natural soccer talent and ability, but the not-so-obvious reasons that separate him from the pack are his amazing work ethic, mentality, and leadership skills on and off the field.

“When we are on the field the games are over, the fun, the joking, the goofing off, that’s all gone and we are 100% locked in, out for blood, and focused on our goal, which I think is why we have only lost two games this year,” said sophomore Rhys Ceron.

“Your guys’ team has such good chemistry and energy it almost looks effortless the way that you guys play when everyone is on the same page,” said a Spanish exchange student watching the Stinger’s varsity team play Summit when asked what he thought about the game. And that is what this team is really all about: tons of energy, enthusiasm, and great chemistry on and off the field.

The culture of this team has really brought out the chemistry which has enhanced the play style and relationships between the players which have been clearly demonstrated in every game that the Stingers have played so far. This team really supports each other and embraces the culture, which is something that sets them apart from other teams in the MVC.

An example of this is when freshman Steven Gerhardt had to step up to the plate in goal playing his first varsity game ever. For anyone that would be a big task to accomplish, but he has had to fill the shoes of star Eli Cogan. The Stingers had his back, though, by giving him words of encouragement and hyping him up before his first varsity start ever.

Steven ended up having a great game with a couple of eye-popping saves, but the point is that this team has each other’s backs, which is key to their success this season. When asked about the secret to the success of this season, freshman Santigo Dreher said: “Our chemistry, ability to lock in 100% and focus, but also being able to joke around with teammates. Great leaders with great values, work ethic, talent, etc and overall the team just being all connected with everyone bringing something special to offer.” 

Loyal fans at a varsity soccer game. (Mark Beyreis)

The students and faculty seem to be loving this team and what school spirit they are bringing. “I don’t think that I have ever been that excited watching a Seven Hills soccer game,” junior Max Ralph said. The team has given the school a team to really root for this year with hopes of winning state.